I am a self-described “Chapstick” or lip balm junkie- I re-apply it at least every 30 minutes. Therefore, I know a lot about which lip balms last longer, feel better, look good and actually help your lips. The most important thing I have learned about the best lip balms: you don’t have to spend a lot of money!
I have a few favorite lip balms since I have practically tried them all! Here they are in no particular order:
- Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment (DCT) Medicated Lip Conditioner is an oldie but goodie. I have used Blistex DCT off and on for about 20 years and it’s great. You can buy Blistex DCT Medicated Lip Conditioner at any drugstore, so the price makes it even more worthwhile. This lip balm comes in a pot and has an SPF of 20 so not only will you have healed, soft lips but be protected from the sun as well! I use Blistex DCT at night and the smell is wonderfully mild with a hint of Cocoa Butter. It feels great!
- Another great drugstore find is Carmex® Lip Balm in Cherry flavor. Carmex also has an SPF of 15 and works great when you’re outdoors. I love the way Carmex Lip Balm feels- it slightly tingles when you put it on, goes on smooth and really lasts without being sticky. Carmex is known for healing chapped lips and burns so that’s an added benefit! Carmex Lip Balm is super inexpensive, feels great and smells yummy. Here’s the best deal yet: a 12 pack of Carmex Cherry Lip Balm for just a little over $1 each!
- Smith’s Rosebud Salve Lip Balm in Strawberry is also great. It comes in a pretty big sized tin that lasts quite a long time for the price. I found a great deal online and you buy two for a little over the price of one! I have used the cult favorite Original Rosebud Salve but I like the Strawberry Rosebud Salve because it’s a little sweeter and fun to wear. The very slight pink tint is also nice and Rosebud Salve gives your lips just the right natural shine. Rosebud Salve has been in existence for over 100 years and you can actually use it on any dry chapped part of your body but it’s especially nice on lips.
- Epicuren Conditioning Lip Balm is very nice but more pricey than drugstore lip balms. Epicuren Lip Balm has an SPF of 15 and an active ingredient of Tea Tree Oil so it’s naturally healing- you just have to like the smell! It’s handy stick form fits nicely in your pocket and it goes on smooth, if not a little too softly. Epicuren Lip Balm is pretty long lasting and Epicuren’s philosophy of organic, all-natural ingredients are good for you and avoid the “lip balm” addiction that some medicated lip balms give you.
- Bonne Bell Lip Smacker. There’s just nothing like this vanilla cake batter scent to take you back to your childhood and just make you happy! Bonne Bell Lip Smacker Lip Gloss in Vanilla does not benefit your lips the way some other lip balms do, but for a quick trip down memory lane throughout the day, nothing does it like Bonne Bell Lip Smacker! Amazon.com has a great deal on a two-pack.