Hey curly haired beauties, I thought I’d share my fool proof styling tips to help you achieve perfectly frizz free ringlets in no time at all!
- In the shower, shampoo hair with a gentle, low suds shampoo like Deva Curl Low Poo Cleanser.
- After washing out shampoo apply a semi-thick moisturizing conditioner. For less dry hair, I love Deva Curl One Condition. It was created just for curly hair and provides lightweight but effective moisture. For drier hair, try Pureology Antifade Complex Hydrate Conditioner. Pureology products are always safe for color treated hair and this moisturizing conditioner leaves hair soft and manageable. Pureology does not test on animals.
- Before rinsing conditioner out, brush hair with a wide tooth comb while still in the shower. Any wide tooth comb will do, just go to your local drugstore and pick one up. In the shower with conditioner on should be the ONLY time you brush out your hair. This will eliminate tangles but still keep your curls in tack. Never dry brush curly hair or you will end up with hair larger than your own head!
- After combing, rinse out conditioner. Squeeze water from hair using your hands or a towel. Do not use the towel to vigorously rub your hair and scalp. Maintain your curls by merely squeezing your hair to rid most of the water.
- Apply a light leave-in conditioner to the ends of your hair. I like Eufora Hydration Leave-in Conditioner.
- Once hair is damp, remove towel and apply styling products. For extra dry hair, spray a bit of Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist all over hair. Paul Mitchell is a long-standing animal friendly company and all of their products are wonderful.
- If hair is not exceptionally dry, skip the Moisture Mist and apply a creamy styling product for curls. I personally mix a few pumps of L’Oreal Texture Line Spiral Down Crème to reduce frizz with Aveda’s Be Curly Curl Enhancer to add definition and slight hold. Aveda is also all natural and animal friendly. Use a light hand and avoid roots when applying styling products to curly hair; too much product will weigh down a style and create a greasy look.
- Diffuse hair. Using a diffuser on curly hair is the only way to get volume at the roots. Letting curly hair air dry is fine but hair may fall flat. I also like to walk out the house with dry, perfectly styled hair.
- Once hair is dry, applying a finishing cream to lock in your curls and eliminate any frizz. I use a bit Aveda Light Elements Finishing Solution to delicately scrunch curls and smooth frizz. Be careful not to separate curls or work your hair too hard.
- Finish with hair spray if needed.
Those products are sulfate free and designed for curly hair. The less lather there is equals less frizzing in the end. is an organic, all natural product line that utilizes the power of pure Aloe Vera gel and does not test on animals. Their leave-in conditioner is just light enough not to weigh hair down but still seals in the moisture curly hair needs. Apply 2-3 pumps and wrap wet hair in towel.
Go show off that fabulous hair!